Paphos castle, situated on a rather pleasant coastal walk not far from the tourist village we stayed at.
The castle has a long history, originally a Byzantine fort it was destroyed by an earthquake in 1222. It was rebuilt around 1391 by the Lusignans, a royal house of French origin who came to rule Cyprus, Jerusalem and Cilicia. In 1570 it was dismantled by the Ventetians (who annexed the island in 1489) and rebuilt by the Ottomans after they captured the island in the 16th century. Apparently the British used the castle as a salt storage during their rule of the island. It was declared a listed building in 1935.